**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
In this article I’ll share my seven top tips for selecting your senior picture outfits.
Getting ready for your senior pictures can be a time-consuming event.
What photographer should I use?
Where should I take the pictures?
Should I do a friend photoshoot?
And of course the ever-important question, what should I wear?
Below are a few tips I’ve gathered on picking out your outfit along with some dresses I think are perfect for senior pictures.
Senior Picture Outfit Tips
When you’re shopping for photographers always ask about outfit changes. Many photographers will have a limit on the number of outfits you can wear along with locations. The more outfits and locations, the higher the price of the photoshoot.
As you look through senior picture ideas, take time to note the outfits your really like. This will make it easier when you open up your own closet or comb through Amazon looking for your senior picture outfit.
1. Wear your favorite outfits. I always recommend wearing your favorite outfits rather than buying something new. So go through your closet and pull out your favorites.
And stick to your usual style. If you love being in dresses then take your senior pictures that way. Don’t feel like you need to force yourself into whatever is currently trending.
Look for outfits that really show of your personal style. Outfits that will make your friends say, “That’s totally you!”
Try them on and have your parents or a friend shoot a few photos from different angles so you can see how it looks in general (obviously the pro will do a much better job. This is just to give you an idea of how it will look).
2. Buying an outfit? If you do decide to buy an outfit or two take a minute to write down what you’re looking for. I know it sounds kind of silly, but I’ve found that when you really take a minute to write down a list of outfit requirements it makes shopping much easier.
If you’re struggling to come up with ideas take a look at your own favorite outfits and list out what you like about them. Or spend some time on IG or Pinterest looking at outfits you like.
Save them and even write down what you like about them. It will make your search easier. Once you get your new outfits, go through the same exercise. Try them on, snap a few photos and decide if you’re going to keep it or keep searching.
3. Pick the right accessories. Once you’ve selected your outfits, decide what accessories to wear. Earrings, a necklace, scarf, headbands, hats, bracelets. Just like the outfit, wear accessories that match your go-to style.
That said, I’d recommend keeping the accessories minimal for your senior picture outfit.
Too many accessories can be distracting in the photos but also as you take the actual pictures. Now you have to worry about how those accessories look in addition to the rest of the outfit.
4. Spend Time on Your Hair. The way you do your hair for pictures can definitely have a significant impact on your photos. I recommend keeping it simple.
Wearing your hair down is easily the most common practice but don’t be afraid to mix it up. And something simple like adding a headband can completely change your look.
And once again, be yourself. If you are regularly rocking a braid, don’t be afraid to do the same in your senior pictures.
Pictures come out the best when your comfortable and in my experience, when I try out a new hairstyle I don’t always feel all that comfortable.
5. Wear the right shoes. If you’re looking for a good excuse to pick out some new shoes this can be a great one. While I’d shy away from a brand new outfit for your senior pictures, picking out new shoes is much easier.
Once you have your outfit nailed down, pick out a pair of complementary shoes. And if you’ll be switching locations during your shoot or doing a lot of walking, consider bringing a pair of comfortable shoes so you aren’t marching around in heels for 3 hours.
If you’re looking for a few ideas you can check out my article on graduation shoes.
6. Think about your underwear. Make sure your underwear isn’t going to show through your outfit (especially important if you’re wearing white).
If your bra strap might show on one of your outfits, consider wearing a strapless bra or one with removable straps.
7. Do you Wear Glasses? As a glasses wearer I know the challenges. I have far too many pictures of myself that were ruined by them.
While you could remove your glasses for pictures, if you wear them all the time, they won’t really look like you.
So, one effective way to eliminate any chance of glare is to remove the lenses. It will feel weird to just wear the frames but your pictures will turn out great and it will still look like you in your glasses.
Gorgeous Dresses for your Senior Picture Outfit
As a quick little bonus, here are 7 dresses I think look gorgeous for senior pictures.